Monday 8 October 2012

IB English language and literature written task 3


Written task 3
Rationale:


Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s ‘Chronicle of a Death Foretold’  is wonderful piece of art. The pseudo- journalistic narrative style gives a really different experience of story reading. Although sometimes the narrator expresses his own opinion or feelings, most of the time he trying to reconstruct the story on the basis of what the people of the town tell him. Starting at twenty years later is another factor that makes the narrative interesting. The memory of Santiago Nasar’s murder is gradually fading. As a result of this long time gap some events have many different versions, coming from different people. On the other hand, this long time gap also allows many firsthand witnesses and some other involved parties to go away. Thus, this time gap causes the loss some important inputs. Most importantly, the narrative doesn’t have the option to engage with Angela Vicario at a deeper level and explore her feelings about her wedding or the murder of Santiago Nasar. Because of this silence, we never get to know her feelings and might also think her to be deceitful and insensitive. However, I felt that there might have been something that made her act the way she acted. She lived in a society where women had practically no life. They could make no decision about their own lives. Even if she loved someone, she could never get to express that. on the other hand, Bayardo’s entry is so quick and powerful that she has no way but to submit. It must have been a hard and troubling experience for her- making that huge decision. In my written task I chose to write an imaginary diary entry for Angela where she expresses her feelings about the coming marriage.


Diary Entry

Dear diary, 
The entire town is busy enjoying my wedding. It seems to be some kind of festival. Everyone is celebrating it.  I am also supposed to be happy. Of course I should be happy. Which girl won’t like having a husband like Bayardo? A nice man, with so much of wealth and a nice family, he is the best one could have. And still I don’t feel any excitement! During this brief period of courtship he has poured his heart before me. What could be more Romantic than that? but still I don’t feel any joy. It seems that my heart is lost somewhere else. Yes, I don’t love Bayardo. He has got everything to charm my family or anybody else. But charming someone and taking someone’s heart are two different things. And my heart, which is already taken...he is never going to have it. I was raised to be a perfect daughter, a perfect sister and finally a perfect wife. When was i going to be myself? I could not choose my parents or my siblings, but I can choose my love, my life partner. My choices make what I am. I am going to marry Bayardo but my heart is already of someone else. Yes, I broke the norms of the society and I put my family’s honour at stake, but I am happy that I made a choice. I chose my lover. Even if this is going to be the end, our sweet memories will keep my spirit alive.

The time of wedding is nearing and I can still not believe that it is really happening. I am beautiful and from a good family, but that doesn’t mean Bayardo should marry me. He is rich. He can marry any beautiful girl from some rich family. Why did he choose me? God! I am cursed. He has just seen me from outside. He has no idea who I really am. He expects me to be a ‘virtuous’ maiden. But what worth this virtue has? Is it better than love? I had those few moments of ultimate pleasure. It was a heavenly experience. Am I going to gain the same things in this marriage? I will be his wife, but I don’t love him. How hollow I will feel when I tell him that I love him. With a simple ritual he will own me. He will become my master. He can use my body in any way he wants. But what about my soul? It will never be his. It will just keep sitting in a far away corner, watching my body being used. Will my soul still remain inside my body? How can it after watching my body defiled! I wish I could die with those heavenly moments in my heart...feeling my love’s angel like presence. This wedding is my doom. This wedding is the demise of my soul. And see how the whole town is busy in celebrating! These are my people. They say they love me. Strange, isn’t it? They have never really tried to understand what is in my heart. They have never thought, even for a single moment, how i would feel with a man who is total stranger to my heart: like a prostitute, just an official one.

All the preparations are done and everyone is in hurry now. It seems all are impatient for the feast and revelry. I have been decorated for the wedding. DECORATED! My head is spinning. This is huge step in my life. I am going to enter a life which is completely strange to me. It seems as if I am caught in a storm and it is dragging me forward. But have I resisted? No... not even once. I just surrendered. Why did I become so weak? I should have stood up and said, “I don’t love this man and I won’t marry him. I love somebody else. Only he could share my body and my soul.” Then why didn’t I do that? I know why. How would it matter what I tell them? Who am I to make my own decisions? Despite of all the dreams, reality decides our fate. A woman is born to be governed. She is born to serve. Where is her liberation? My family knew that they could never find a match as good as Bayardo San Roman  because they are too poor to do that. It will not only save their family honour but rather increase it. What else would they expect? But what about my future now? Bayardo is no different from other men. He might act all Romantic and fancy, but deep in heart he is the same...he would also expect me to be modest, virtuous and obedient. Stupid male vanity! Everything is a matter of honour for them. Must be very fragile! And why do they always place their honour in women and then imprison us in their rules in the name of protecting it. We take care of their honour and they enjoy their manly freedom. I wonder how Bayardo would react when he discovers that i am not a maiden. His honour will be pricked I guess. How do i care! Maximum that he could do is to give me a cold shoulder, ignore me or leave me. I am just submitting to my fate now. May time take care of the rest.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment